Here's where we help you understand what to expect when you apply for a role with us, share some hints and tips to help you prepare, and answer some frequently asked questions.
What to expect
Step 1: Application process
All available external vacancies are listed on our website and applications must be submitted via our J Trust Royal Job Search tool.
Once roles have closed to applications, a telephone interview may take place.
Be prepared, as this usually acts as the first stage prior to a face-to-face interview and during this call we will assess your communication skills, motivational fit, etc.
Step 2: Interview process
The most common form of interview at J Trust Royal is the Competency Interview. You can expect to be asked questions that are based on specific competencies valued by J Trust Royal.
A competency question will always ask you to provide a specific example and will be in this format; e.g. "Give me an example of a time when you delivered a project within a demanding timeframe."
Competency interview questions test what you have learnt, accomplished or experienced. They are based on the premise that past behaviour is the most reliable predictor of future behaviour. You can find out more information on the internet about competency interviews; however, a quick guide to answering competency questions is as follows:
- always remember to include an introduction to the example
- provide details of how you tackled the situation
- explain why you made the choices you did, and provide a summary of the outcomes of the example and perhaps the lessons you learned
Other topics that you can expect to be covered in a formal interview include your current role and responsibilities, your interests and motivations, your long and short-term career aspirations, your strengths and weaknesses, and your knowledge of the role and J Trust Royal.
Step 3: Candidate selection
Once a preferred candidate has been selected J Trust Royal will made a verbal offer and undertake a pre-employment check. This is mandatory for all new employees at J Trust Royal and involves:
- a sanctions check,
- a criminal record check (from The Ministry of Justice),
- a physical check (from The Ministry of Labour),
- an identity check,
- a legal right to work check, and
- employment verification checks.
Role specific mandatory checks may also be required based on regulatory and legal requirements.
After the checks have been satisfactorily completed J Trust Royal will proceed with the job offer by supplying you with a Letter of Offer in writing.
Hints & tips
Submit a strong application
- Prepare a clear and concise resume that:
- Lists your unique attributes for the role and where you want to take your career.
- Lists your work experience to date (starting with the most recent role). Don't forget to include your achievements rather than just your responsibilities.
- Lists your qualifications.
- Includes your contact details.
- Submit your resume with a covering letter that briefly introduces who you are, your relevant experience, and your reasons for applying for the role.
- Always use a spell-checker or dictionary.
- Be factual and keep the formatting simple.
Impress at your interview
Preparation is the first essential step towards a successful interview.
- Know the exact place and time of the interview, the interviewer’s full name, the correct pronunciation and his/her position title.
- Ensure you have reviewed the role mandate or job description in detail and have a clear understanding of the position, the responsibilities, and the competencies required.
- Understand the values, products and services as well as growth potential.
- Prepare some questions to ask during the interview. Remember, this is your opportunity to find out as much as you can about the position, the work environment and growth and development prospects.
Some examples of questions you might ask:
- What are the major challenges in this role?
- What would a standard day in this role involve?
- What would make someone successful in this role?
- What training and development would I be offered if successful in this role?
- Who are your main competitors and how do you differentiate yourself from them?
- What are your business objectives for the area?
Here are some things to do and some things to avoid doing during your interview:
Arrive a few minutes early
Shake hands firmly
Give only yes or no answers to questions
Maintain eye contact
Assume managers’ knowledge of your current role
Exaggerate your experience
Be a good listener
Make derogatory comments about previous employers
Be confident and enthusiastic
Be overbearing or aggressive
Be natural and be yourself
Use bad language, slang or jargon
Frequently asked questions
All our jobs are listed on our website at jtrustroyal.com/en/careers/ and you will see all the open job vacancies listed, for you to review and apply.
Application review timeframes can vary from role to role; however, we generally allow up to two weeks after the advertisement has closed for our recruiters to review applications.
Providing you have the experience required for the jobs you apply for, we would be happy to review your application again. If you are applying for roles where you'd like to gain experience but don't meet all the criteria outlined in the advertisement, you may want to highlight this in a cover letter or summary/introduction in your resume to make it clear to the recruiter managing the role applications.
A clear and concise document which lists your experience and qualifications, unique attributes for the role and where you want to take your career. Outline your work experience to date (most recent working backwards), using clear and concise language. Always use a spell-checker or dictionary and don't forget to include your achievements rather than just your responsibilities. Be factual, keep the formatting simple, and remember to include your contact details.
Be Part of Us
Find out about our staff benefits, incentive scheme, our commitment to staff development and how we help our people build long-term careers.Learn more
An overview of what to expect as your recruitment progresses as well as frequently asked questions and some hints and tips for preparing your application.Learn more
How to Apply
A useful guide to help you successfully use our online job advertisement portal and submit your application to join our team.Learn more
If a career in banking is your dream, join us!
Opportunities at J Trust Royal are exceptional for both personal development and career growth. Now you are only a few clicks away…J Trust Royal Job Search